Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dr. Norman Geisler on even Atheists long for God...



John Paul Sarte –

“I need God…I reached out for religion, I longed for it, it was the remedy. Had it been denied me, I would have invented it myself.” (words, 102, 97).

"Atheism is a cruel, long-term business: I believe that I have gone through it to the end." - Jean-Paul Sartre.

Before Sartre’s death he is recorded as saying,

“I do not feel that I am the product of chance, a speck of dust in the universe, but someone who was expected, prepared, prefigured. In short, a being whom only a Creator could put here” (National Review, 11 June, 1982, p. 677).

Sigmund Freud speaking of God admitted that

“It would be very nice indeed if there was a God.” There is “a sense of man’s insignificance or impotence in the face of the universe.” 

.

Friedrich Nietzsche –

“God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, the murderers, of all murderers, comfort ourselves?”

“I hold up before myself the images of Dante and Spinoza (believers), who were better at accepting the lot of solitude….My life now consists in the wish that it might be otherwise…And that somebody might make my ‘truths’ appear incredible to me…”


Thus Spake Zarathustra:

“Unknown one! Speak. What wilt thou, unknown-god?… Do come back With all thy tortures! To the last of all that are lonely, Oh, come back!…
“And the last flame of my heart Up it gloweth unto thee! Oh, come back, Mine unknown God, my pain! My last happiness!…”

David Hume---

“Most fortunately it happens, that since reason is incapable of dispelling these colds, nature herself suffices to that purpose, and cures me of this philosophical melancholy and delirium. I din, I play a game of backgammon, I converse, and am merry with my friends; and when after three or four hour’s amusement, I would return to these speculations, they appear so cold and strained and ridiculous, that I cannot find in my heart to enter into them any farther.”

Walter Kauffman, German American Philosopher,

“Religion is rooted in man’s aspirations to transcend himself…Whether he worships idols or strives to perfect himself, man is the god-intoxicated ape.”

Will Durant, an American writer, historian and philosopher was interviewed by the Chicago Sun-Times.

I survive morally because I was taught the moral code along with religion, while I have discarded the religion, which was Roman Catholicism. You and I are living on a shadow…because we are operating on the Christian ethical code which was given us, unfused with Christian faith…but what will happen with our children…? We are not giving them an ethics warmed up with Christian faith. They are living on the shadow of a shadow."

Alber Camus

For anyone who is alone, without God and without a master, the weight of days is dreadful” (The Fall, 133). 

"... Despite the fact that there is no God, at least the Church must be built" (The Rebel, 147).

Bertrand Russell

"Even when one feels nearest to other people, something in one seems obstinately to belong to God...--at least that is how I should express it if I thought there was a God. It is odd, isn’t it? I care passionately for this world and many things and people in it, and yet…what is it all?” There must be something more important one feels, though I don’t believe there is”

The British Humanist Magazine charged that Humanism is almost "clinically detached from life.” It recommends they develop a humanist Bible, a humanist hymnal, Ten Commandments for humanists, and even confessional practices! In addition,

"the use of hypnotic techniques--music and other psychological devices--during humanist services would give the audience that deep spiritual experience and they would emerge refreshed and inspired with their humanist faith..." (1964).



Jesus felt the sadness too:



"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." (Matthew 23:37)



Thanks to Norman Geisler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LVM3GQ41vk



thanks to:

Ken Probst

http://blogs.nazarene.org/kpprobst/tag/john-paul-sarte/


No comments:

Post a Comment