Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Quote by C.S. Lewis - Friendship




 
In each of my friends there is something that only some other friend can fully bring out. By myself I am not large enough to call the whole man into activity; I want other lights than my own to show all his facets. Now that Charles is dead, I shall never again see Ronald’s reaction to a specifically Caroline joke. Far from having more of Ronald, having him “to myself” now that Charles is away, I have less of Ronald. Hence true friendship is the least jealous of loves. Two friends delight to be joined by a third, and three by a fourth, if only the newcomer is qualified to become a real friend …. Of course the scarcity of kindred souls--- not to mention practical considerations about the size of rooms and the audibility of voices--- set the limits to the enlargement of the circle; but within those limits we possess each friend not less but more as the number of those with whom we share him increases.
 
 
Source:
 
Tolkien and C.S. Lewis the Gift of Friendship

Colin Duriez, HiddenSpring 2003, Pg. 80

No comments:

Post a Comment